Israel Expands Operations in Gaza, Key Hamas Terrorist Eliminated

by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Correspondent

(Worthy News) – Israel escalated its military campaign in Gaza on Sunday, targeting Rafah and ordering civilians to evacuate Tel Sultan. This marks the first reoccupation of a major area in Gaza since fighting resumed on March 18, as well as announcing a key Hamas terrorist was eliminated on a targeted airstrike.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said it killed Ismail Barhoum, a senior Hamas political bureau member and head of its finances, in a strike on Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis. Hamas confirmed his death, stating he was receiving treatment at the hospital after being injured in a previous strike.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz praised Barhoum’s killing, calling him “the new Hamas prime minister in Gaza, who replaced Issam Da’alis, the previous prime minister who was eliminated a few days ago.”

The IDF said the strike followed “an extensive intelligence-gathering process” and used a “precision munition” to limit civilian harm. Footage showed the hospital largely intact, with fire visible in one stairwell section.

After Barhoum’s killing, Katz said the offensive was “expanding,” and vowed Israel would keep striking until all 59 hostages held in Gaza are freed.

The IDF said Sunday that thousands of troops are set to join the renewed ground offensive in Gaza, significantly expanding what had so far been a limited operation against Hamas.

IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir told Israel Channel 12 that the IDF is pushing to expand the offensive, telling political officials, “Hamas is stalling for time, it’s a strategy, not a tactic.” He added, “The IDF’s operation hurts [Hamas] and causes some movement, but it doesn’t lead it to release the hostages. Therefore, there is no choice, the pressure must be increased.”

The IDF began reoccupying a second major area within one of Gaza’s four main sectors. Previously, it had only entered one area per sector—north, central, Khan Younis, and Rafah—applying pressure on Hamas.

On Saturday night, Israel’s security cabinet approved Katz’s proposal to create a Defense Ministry office to facilitate the “voluntary” departure of Palestinians from Gaza.

Since early March, 1,000 Gazans have left the enclave, with another 600 expected to depart this week.

Currently, only Gazans needing medical care, those with dual citizenship, and residents with destination visas are permitted to leave the Strip.

Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

Latest Stories from Worthy News

South Korea’s Top Court Fires Impeached President
South Korea’s Top Court Fires Impeached President
Friday, April 4, 2025

Thousands of protesters cheered in Seoul Friday as they watched a broadcast announcing that South Korea’s top court voted unanimously to dismiss the country’s impeached president, Yoon Suk Yeol.

Pentagon To Review Defense Secretary’s Usage Of Signal Chat App
Pentagon To Review Defense Secretary’s Usage Of Signal Chat App
Friday, April 4, 2025

The Pentagon’s acting inspector general announced Thursday that he would review U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s use of the Signal messaging application to convey potentially classified plans for a military strike against Houthi militants in Yemen.

Trump: ‘Israeli Premier Likely In US Next Week’
Trump: ‘Israeli Premier Likely In US Next Week’
Friday, April 4, 2025

U.S. President Donald J. Trump said Thursday that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu may visit the United States next week.

Hungary To Withdraw From International Court; Netanyahu Visits Country
Hungary To Withdraw From International Court; Netanyahu Visits Country
Thursday, April 3, 2025

As the Israeli prime minister visited the nation, Hungary announced Thursday that it would withdraw from the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague.

‘Hamas Out!’ Gaza Protests Grow as Terrorist Group Threatens Demonstrators
‘Hamas Out!’ Gaza Protests Grow as Terrorist Group Threatens Demonstrators
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Mass protests against Hamas continued in Gaza on Wednesday—following two days of demonstrations last week, marking the most significant unrest in 18 months—as the terror group tortured and killed two protesters, threatened a crackdown, and drew vows of revenge from the victims’ families.