Ukraine Signals Readiness for Deal as Russian Attacks Raise Doubts

by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Europe Bureau Chief

ABU DHABI / KYIV (Worthy News) – Ukraine has signaled readiness to reach an acceptable agreement with Russia during renewed talks in Abu Dhabi, but Russian missile and drone attacks have cast doubt on Moscow’s intentions, NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte and other officials said.

The talks, held Wednesday under U.S. mediation, are aimed at exploring a ceasefire and longer-term security arrangements after nearly four years of war. Ukrainian officials have stressed that any agreement must include credible security guarantees, while continued Russian strikes have raised questions about Moscow’s commitment to diplomacy.

A day earlier, on Tuesday, Rutte made an unannounced visit to Kyiv, where he held a joint press conference with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. Both leaders condemned Russia’s overnight missile and drone attacks, which Zelenskyy said violated the terms of a temporary energy ceasefire announced by the United States last week.

Zelenskyy warned that Russia’s actions must have “consequences” and cautioned against Ukraine’s partners remaining silent in the face of continued strikes on civilian and energy infrastructure.

SECURITY GUARANTEES AT CENTER OF TALKS

Zelenskyy said Ukraine and Europe need access to key defense licenses, including for missile systems crucial to air defense, many of which are currently controlled by the United States. He added that strong, enforceable guarantees are essential to prevent renewed Russian aggression.

The Ukrainian leader said he and Rutte agreed that an army of about 800,000 personnel would be an acceptable size for Ukraine’s future security, rejecting Russia’s demand that Ukraine cap its forces at 600,000. He said EU membership remains a core element of Ukraine’s long-term security framework, but emphasized that the decisive question is how Europe and the United States would respond if Russia attacks again.

Rutte said Ukraine needs binding commitments to deter future aggression, pointing to the so-called “coalition of the willing,” which would involve European forces backed by what he described as a crucial U.S. security backstop.

He said NATO military alliance allies are expected to allocate about $15 billion this year under the Prioritized Ukraine Requirements List (PURL) program, through which alliance members purchase U.S. weapons for Ukraine. About two-thirds of NATO countries are participating, he added.

NATO CHIEF CALLS FOR FAIRER BURDEN-SHARING

Rutte also urged more equal burden-sharing within the alliance, noting that some members are contributing heavily while others are doing little. He highlighted the roles of Norway, the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Canada, and Sweden.

Describing Russia’s full-scale invasion launched in February 2022 as “crazy,” Rutte said the continued targeting of civilian infrastructure was deliberately creating “chaos” for innocent Ukrainians.

Residents, including parents in Kyiv, told Worthy News they are struggling with heat and “especially electricity” after the ongoing Russian strikes, amid Arctic-level winter vibes as temperatures drop to minus 25 Celsius (minus 13 Fahrenheit).

However, Ukraine is still “ready to play ball and reach a deal acceptable to Kyiv,” Rutte said, adding that Russia’s latest attacks sent a “really bad signal” ahead of future negotiations.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

Latest Stories from Worthy News

U.S. To Withdraw All Troops From Syria, Ending Decade-Long Mission
U.S. To Withdraw All Troops From Syria, Ending Decade-Long Mission
Wednesday, February 18, 2026

The United States is withdrawing all of its roughly 1,000 troops from Syria, ending a decade-long military campaign against the Islamic State, according to a Wall Street Journal exclusive citing American officials.

DOJ Issues New Subpoenas in Probe of Russia Investigation Origins
DOJ Issues New Subpoenas in Probe of Russia Investigation Origins
Wednesday, February 18, 2026

The Justice Department has issued a fresh round of subpoenas in a Florida-based investigation examining the origins and conduct of the federal government’s 2016 Russia inquiry — a probe that shadowed President Donald Trump for years and fueled deep divisions across the nation.

‘Just The Beginning Of Enormous Growth’: White House Heralds Strong Jobs Report
‘Just The Beginning Of Enormous Growth’: White House Heralds Strong Jobs Report
Wednesday, February 18, 2026

The White House is heralding a better-than-expected jobs report as one of the first signs of what it says will be a “record successful year” in 2026, after a year of stalled jobs growth.

Blasphemy Accusations And Mob Violence Threaten Christians In Pakistan And Iran (Worthy News In-Depth)
Blasphemy Accusations And Mob Violence Threaten Christians In Pakistan And Iran (Worthy News In-Depth)
Wednesday, February 18, 2026

As Ramadan, deemed a holy month by Muslims, began Wednesday, advocates warned that Christians and other religious minorities in parts of South Asia face potentially deadly consequences from blasphemy accusations amplified by social media and mob violence.

Satellite Images Show Iran Reinforcing Key Military, Nuclear Sites Amid Rising Tensions
Satellite Images Show Iran Reinforcing Key Military, Nuclear Sites Amid Rising Tensions
Wednesday, February 18, 2026

Satellite imagery reviewed by analysts indicates Iran has advanced fortification work at several sensitive military and nuclear-linked sites, including the Parchin military complex and the Isfahan Nuclear Technology Center, according to a Reuters report. The developments come as Washington seeks a negotiated nuclear agreement with Tehran while warning that military options remain on the table if diplomacy fails.